Whooping cough is no fun

Also called the 100 day cough and for good reason. When Hyrum was sick over Christmas, we took him to the dr in rexburg. They didn't test him, they just have him medicine. Well it didn't go away. It got so bad that his poop turned a red color and we thought it was blood so we had to hurry him to the er. After that, I decided it's time to switch dr offices. If hyrums sick, I expect them to do tests and figure out what's wrong instead of just giving medicine and hope it's the right stuff. I researched online, found one I really liked and they got great reviews. Thank heavens switching is fast and easy. 
The night we switched over, Hyrum started coughing in his sleep. He doesn't cough generally so we knew something was up. I called the dr office early the next day. As soon as I mentioned his "barking" cough, they wanted to see him. This office is only 5 minutes away, unlike the other dr which is 45 minutes away. Much better! So we go in, they are so nice and I loved how they have 2 waiting rooms: 1 for sick patients and 1 for people getting check ups. 
Well Hyrum was diagnosed with croup. Which is basically a cough for babies. Just something that you just have to wait out. A couple days later, he was taking a nap and he was in my arms and he stopped breathing! Scariest moment of my life. So I called and got another dr appointment. He said it still looks like croup but he's gonna send us to the hospital for labs to see if it's something different but has the same symptoms. We get there, wait for a bit, they call us back. Instead of taking blood, like I thought they'd do, there's a new test that  is a swab they do thru the nose. Hyrum did great and didn't even cry! A couple hours later, we got the call from the dr saying he tested positive for...yes...whooping cough. He said that because I did what was best, we caught it early enough, he probably wouldn't have to be hospitalized. Thank goodness! 
The following nights were brutal. Josh works graveyard so he wasn't there to help me. And for some reason, it got worse at night. There was one night that he would not stop coughing and it was so bad he threw up all over the bed! Poor baby. 
A week after starting his meds, his poor little bum got extremely red. I couldn't contain in. It got sooo bad, so in to the dr we go again, and poor baby has a yeast infection! We just got some prescription cream and it's helped and it's almost gone! 
As of recently, he's been much better. He will still throw up with coughing, but it's not as often. His breathing is much better too! My lovely mother got Hyrum some essential oils that we rub on his back and stomach, and we put some in the humidifier and that seems to help a lot! We're just working on getting him better and that's all that matters. I hate when my poor baby is sick and I can't wait for him to be 100% healthy. Although he's sick, he's still so happy and I love this smile on his face :) 

Comments